Everyone knows that time is a valuable thing. Why waste it on an appliance? One thing you can appreciate about a Whirlpool refrigerator is how quick and effortless it is to replace their water filters. It literally takes a few minutes. All you do is remove the reusable knob, pop the old filter out and replace it with a new one. Three simple steps and you’re done! These water filters are great because they cut back on things like lime-scale build-up, bad taste, dirt, and rust. One other good thing to know about your Whirlpool refrigerator is that if you want your ice and water tasting fresh and crisp, it’s a good idea to replace your water filter every 6 months.
You can use this water filter for most Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Kitchen Aid models. There’s also a 2-pack available ($61.95 + $6.95 shipping) which makes it such a big convenience. Made by Whirlpool. Part Number: 4396508.
How to install your new water filter:
- Twist the old filter counterclockwise about a quarter turn.
- Pull the filter completely out and unscrew the reusable knob. Note that the water shuts off automatically when you pull the filter out.
- Attach the knob you removed from the old filter onto the new one.
- Slide the new filter through the grille and the refrigerator until it can’t go any further.
- Twist the filter back (clockwise) about a quarter turn.
How to reset the “change filter” light:
If your refrigerator has a filter button, press the button and hold it between 5-10 seconds. If it does not have a filter button, just press on the light switch 5 times, repeatedly.
Older part numbers this filter replaces:
- 2186444, 2200203, 2203980, 2255518, 2203220
- 2305768, 2305766, 2305767
- 4396918, 4396563, 4396562, 4392857, 4392857R
- WF-NL240, WFNL240, WF-NL240V, WFNL240V, NL240, NL240V
- WF-NL300, WFNL300, NL300
- WF-L400, WFL400, WF-L400V, WFL400V, NL300, L400V
- WF-L500, WFL500, L500, WF-300BR
- 46-9902, 469902, 46-9908, 469908
- 9902, 9902P, 9908, 9908P
- 04609902000, 04609908000
- 4396547, 4396163, 4396509, 4396509P
A list of all the residue this filter removes:
- 92.50% of Carbofuran
- 96.22% of Mercury at pH 6.5
- 91.57% of Mercury at pH 8.5
- 96.40% of Benzene
- 95.10% of Particulates (Class II)
- 99.35% of Lead at pH 6.5
- 99.31% of Lead at pH 8.5
- 99.77% of P-Dichlorobenzene
- 99.00% of Chlorine
- 92.86% of Toxaphene