When the first Whirlpool Duet washer was introduced back in December, 2001, it took the public by surprise. On one hand its modern design and front load style was a big plus, on the other hand though, the set retail price came as somewhat of a shock to a lot of people -
$1,200 and up for some of the models. After the initial shock began to wear off and people got used to the idea of paying $2,000 for a laundry set, the new Duet washer proved to be a solid, quality machine and a big success with the public.
As with most front load washers, there is the occasional problem with the “bellow” - the rubber boot between the front of the washer and the tub. But, with proper maintenance this problem can be overted. *UPDATE* There is a new product on the market called Affresh. It prevents odor causing residue, works much better than bleach and keeps your HE washer clean. See product details and purchasing info here. Download a Use and Care manual for your washer for instructions.
Every washer model, good or bad, has a list of components that fail most often. It doesn’t mean that your washer will break down tomorrow and statistically it probably won’t break down for a long long time. But if or when it does break down, chances are the faulty part will be on the list below.
THE LIST (or “What’s causing my Duet washer’s headache”)
- Well, we’ve mentioned the bellow, which you may have to replace once every few years.
- Water drain pump - might get clogged. Simple and inexpensive repair.
- Inlet water valve. What is a valve? A plastic body and a couple of solenoids. Solenoids go bad after a while, it’s that simple.
- Door lock. Somewhat of a fragile item and can break if not careful.
- Electronics - main control board, speed control, etc. With electronics, you never really know. It may fry tomorrow or last for 20 years. A good precaution is to use a surge protector for the washing machine.
- All above are what is called “functional items”. There are also cosmetical items that usually break due to improper or heavy use. Items like door handles, door frames, control knobs, door hinges, etc.
- Whirlpool Duet Parts List
All in all, Whirlpool Duet is a good quality washing machine. Quiet operation, high capacity, lots of options, powerful motor. If it does break down, make sure to use high quality original Whirlpool parts.
Popularity: 45% [?]